Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial day honoring my dad



Happy Memorial Day friends,

Today is a day to celebrate country and those who fought to for it.
On days like this I often think of my dad and the sacrifices he made for  our country.
He did at least 2 tours in Korea and was right on the front line. I know little of his life during the war, only a few snippets from him and things he told my mom. But I do know it was not a glamorous time, it was hard and hot and war was not fought by computers, but by men with guns surprising their foes and I know that still happens but with technology so many less men and women die in conflict. The Korean war has just in the past years been classified as a war, it was referred to as a conflict so therefor it is said to be the forgotten war. My dad fought during his early 20's and still at 80 feels the effects of that time.
He has night terrors and flash backs and now as he ages he will remember things and mention something that seems mundane for him but gives us insight into what happened.
Aside from being a solider, my dad was a hard working self employed man. He loved his family dearly. His work got in the way, of a lot of our fun, saying just a minute let me finish this car first, and as disappointing as that was, it also taught us a  hard work ethic. 
He was tougher on my brothers I know, and somehow they always thought they had to live up to some unspoken expectation by him, and I think my dad has always been so proud of all of his kids and it is harder for him to tell the boys, He always said he loved us and forgave fast when we had done wrong. He made sure we experienced life by traveling and seeing things outside our farm.
My dad also taught us to love God and respect others and those are the best gifts he and my mom ever gave us.
Today I honor all service people, but my heart truly thanks the men and women who fought and served in those wars we only hear about from history books. 

Tell a service person " Thank you" today and remember those men and women who are no longer in uniform but still fight battles in their minds.

Have a great memorial day and be blessed.
Always 
Suszi

No comments: