Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'm running to the mercy seat...



Good morning friends,
The past few days have been so full of laughter,
There are always so many people at my house and every day seems like an adventure.
Laughter is so healing.
I have had the Mercy seat on my mind and what that truly means.
I mean I understand it in theory it is a place of mercy.
But really what does the mercy seat mean?
Is it an actual seat? or a metaphor? 
In Exodus 25, it talks about the exact measurement for the Arc of the Covenant, including, the lid, or covering.
Wikipedia says this,
 The account also states that two golden statues of cherubim were placed at each end of the cover, facing one another and the cover, with their wings spread in order to enclose the cover; (Exodus 25:18-21) according to the Books of Samuel, these cherubim together formed a seat for Yahweh (1 Samuel 4:4) Although a literal interpretation of the Book of Exodus would conclude that the mercy seat, along with the remainder of the Ark, was constructed according to the commands of Yahweh at the time of Moses.

So once the veil of the Holy of Holies was torn, did the seat become a symbolic thing? 
Maybe if we look at mercy.

mer·cy

  [mur-see]
noun, plural mer·cies 
1.
compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: Have mercy on the poor sinner.
2.
the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing: an adversary wholly without mercy.
3.
the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, especially to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.
4.
an act of kindness, compassion, or favor: She has performed countless small mercies for her friends and neighbors.
5.
something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing: It was just a mercy we had our seat belts on when it happened.

Kindly forbearance shown toward an offender.
I am thinking That grace and mercy go hand in hand.
God has grace and shows mercy.

Today I need that mercy and grace. there are so many times I fall short.
I get frustrated and upset when things don't go right.
Like today I just want to write and have so much to say, but I have a sick boy who is whiney and wants to have a nerf gun war, Hunger abounds, people cleaning and PCA is working. So in the midst of chaos I try to write about grace and mercy without being gracious which is kinda funny. Not that any of those things is bad but all together craziness. I take a deep breath and try to concentrate over Sesame Street. 
So I pray today you and I have time to think on God's mercy.
Pray for grace.

Have a blessed day.

Always
Suszi



No comments: