Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pie, only good if eaten in your hand


Good Morning friends,
Honoring my mom today again, and everyone loved the stories, so I will continue. I swear I could fill volumes of books with her stories .
She often told a story of back in their drinking days beforeI was born. My dad was spending too much time ice fishing at his fish house and she was pregnant and had 2 little boys at home. She asked him to stop but he didn't, so she got in their car and drove onto the ice and as she said "Pushed him off his "ICE ' hole" all the way across the lake. He didn't fish much after that, probably because there wasn't to much left of the ice house. 
My parents stopped drinking before I was born so when they talk of those days it seems like different people. 
How they met is a miracle too. My mom was barely 14 and had graduated from 8th grade, high school was optional then and rarely done, most kids had to go work to help the family. My mom had gone to Columbus, OH. to work with her older sister in her cafe. On one of her first days there my dad came in and asked for a piece of pie. so she got him one and handed it to him without a plate. he looked at her and laughed and said "Can I have a plate?" She said "No, pie is not good unless you can eat it without a plate." Love was born.
My dad had come to Columbus after he returned to Minnesota from Korea, and he had someone who wanted to marry him and he didn't want that so he packed a bag and went to friends there in Columbus, this part is different with each telling hehe so details are sketchy, but regardless he went to Ohio. The day he walked into the diner and met my mom, it must have been love at first sight. Mom then found out dad was dating one of her friends, so the would go on double dates and my dad started holding her hand with his arm around her friend. I'm sure it took only a date or two before the friend was out of the picture. My dad asked my mom to marry him, so they went back to her family home in KY,for permission and for my grandpa to marry them. When they arrived on Flint Branch my dad had never been there and wondered why they all seemed mad and were caring guns. My Grandpa said he wouldn't marry them and my mom said he had to, insinuating she was pregnant, (which she wasn't) He was so angry and mom and daddy drove with Lula and Noah to town to the courthouse to get the licence (which cost about $. 25 ) and the court clerk said to my grandpa "Mr. Puckett you can sign here." Well, my dad was taken aback he said "Why does your dad need to sign, your 18 aren't you?" My Grandma said "No, she is 14!!" Well my mom being as quick witted turned to my dad and said 'Do you love me any less then you did 5 minutes ago?" He said "Well no". Then lets get married. They returned to the house and had a wedding on the front lawn of their home, Grandpa said he couldn't marry them in the church, because he thought she was pregnant. The day was July 7 , 1956 and my mom was 14 and my dad was 23. (his birthday is the 14th of July he turned 24) 
This year would be their 58th anniversary. 
My mom didn't have a child til 4 years later. 
After they were married they lived in an apartment building just for newlyweds. They wanted out of their lease and the landlady was not easy to deal with. The only reason they could get out was to be pregnant. Well it worked they were out of the lease because she was "pregnant" again. my mom ran into the landlady about a year later and the lady asked what kind of baby they had. Mom said "Oh, a girl we named her Sue".
Needless to say I wasn't born for another 13 years. I told her the only reason she named me Sue was because she had a guilty conscience for lying about it. In the next few years my parents moved to Mn to my dads families area, and settled in Janesville, where they later had Jeff, Jim and John and me 7 years after John.
Be blessed 
Always
Suszi

No comments: