Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why do people judge a book cover?


 

Good morning friends,
Last night we had a great time with a family from church, it was a very in depth talk about spiritual things, and how people see what they want to see in you and many don't look deeper into the person, and first impressions are not always right especially when you have special needs kids.
In a church setting you meet people either at night, after a long day of struggle with your children, or on Sundays, after a few days of routine imbalance. I have heard from several people in this church that their first impression of me was very wrong. We have been going there about a year and a half. Friends are just coming to realize the craziness that is our life. Yesterday was a fine example, Chris was over stimulated, and showing off all day and Ian was so tired from having got up at 5:30, add 3 more kids to the mix and let the chaos begin. There were tears and fights and lovely and endearing moments. But by this time of day around supper I need a drink or something, but most of the time just trying to enjoy the precious time we have with our kids no matter what is important.
We talked for hours the four of us and it was so great to hear others perspective on different things. How what most people see on the outside or those who say wow that is not a family I want to spend time with, they are crazy. People often miss out on so many opportunities because they judge people so quickly. I am loud and firm and straight forward, I wish I was soft and gentle and meek, but that is not the person God created in me. Many people hear me before they see me, they see my creativity and not my spiritually. I get judged by my cover and not my content. Most people don't know I think very deeply about God and I pray constantly, I have memorized 90% of the new testament and much of the old, I may not be able to quote it but,it is hidden where God brings it out when needed. I am devoted and loyal. I love unconditionally and deeply. I don't say these things because I want accolades but to show my point. A book cover is deceiving. Be careful when you make a choice about someone. Last night our friend explained to me in a way I hadn't heard, that when you meet someone, and you hear or feel or don't like something, instead of looking at that person and saying oh I don't like that about them, but saying "oh why do I feel this?" what is wrong in my heart or life that makes this bug me, what am I doing to make me uncomfortable, what can I change in myself so I am not being judgmental? I know there are lots of people who aren't my friend because they don't look beyond that first impression, and many who were my friends before I got my children and for whatever reason no longer call or have anything to do with us. It is a sad state and I am truly guilty of it too. One of my dearest friends I thought was a space cadet, and now I understand her life and neither of us would have, the friendship we have if we had looked at first impressions.  

My point is this, I cannot judge another without judging myself first, That God created me to be this person, for the purpose He has ordained. Sometimes God needs someone like me to reach people, when a quiet person can't, or a situation that would overwhelm many, He will use someone that is the perfect fit. He uses our past and our vices or previous life to send us to those we can minister to. I think He will use our past and our personality and our insecurities to put us in the places He needs us. He may not send a former alcoholic into a bar to minister, but He can use those things that the Devil meant for pain to HIS glory. I have little fear of people or what people think of me, I am strong and have a pretty tough skin, so He will send me where a loud voice is needed, where my faults are His glory. 
So be the person God created.
Let Him use you to touch who HE sends to you.
Don't be to quick to judge people, we can learn something of ourselves in them.
Be bold and pliable so you can move when He says move.
Be blessed today.

Always
Suszi

No comments: