Friday, August 16, 2013

Are you offended?



Good Morning friends,
Have you ever been offended or have offended someone?
ME, ME, ME I tend to be and expert at it. At least the offending part.
I have a big mouth and very little inhibition.
Overlook an offense and bond a friendship; fasten on to a slight and—good-bye, friend!
  and
So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.

Do you ever hold an offence so tight until it has overcome every part of your being with anger?
I used to be so bad at this, I didn't want to be corrected, or reprimanded or helped.
I am independent. I will do it my way and you will like it or to heck with you.
One day I got offended so badly it hurt me spiritually, and I prayed God would change this in me.
For many years I worked in churches, and that is the worst place to get offended.
I'm not sure why we offend so easily? We aren't upset watching something raunchy on TV. Or listening to something rude on the radio. So why when fellow believers say something are we offended so quickly? 
Do we think we are better Christians? How does God want us to act? 
Well this verse in Proverbs puts it pretty simply. 
Overlook an offence. 
One way I got to see this magnified in my life was, when I lived in Kentucky I was having seizures and the doctor put me on this medicine that worked great for those, but the side affect was it took away your inhibitions, and made you super agressive.  Soooo lets take someone who is already aggressive and obnoxious and add meds to do that magnified. WELL let me tell you. It was amazing for me. I felt exhilarated I wasn't afraid to say or do anything. Yep and I lost friends, I offended a nationally known Christian musician, I offended EVERYONE. What a lesson ouch. It showed me how being offensive is so hurtful to people. I wasn't on it for long as you can imagine but I was like Hurricane Suszi leaving a path of destruction wherever I went. 
I had to go to everyone and apologize profusely.
It then showed me the other side. Who offended easily.
So many people were like "Oh you were so funny" or "Oh no problem aren't we all like that sometimes" or even "I have wanted to say that to that person for a long time and didn't have the guts" (OK so the last one may not have been good hehehe)
But it showed me who had learned this lesson in being offended.  
And who hadn't. 
It is not an easy lesson and is definitely a process. It takes a LOT of practice. I still struggle with my family.
They can say something and it crawls all over me. And hurts! That is where I am today. If it is a lie? Aren't I supposed to be offended? I know I will never get an apology. So do I play lets just pretend it didn't happen?
Am I justified in my hurt? 
This is my new lesson in Meekness along with offences. 
Meekness  is not holding resentment for wrongs done.
So I guess there lies my answer!
They may never ask my forgiveness, so I show them God's love and grace.
Because is that not what He does for us?
So as I work on my offences today keeping my boundaries in tact.
I feel like a dog with it's tail between it's legs.
But above all else LOVE. 

I will pray today you learn this truth, and I get a refresher course.
Let us go into today with grace and love.
Be blessed

Always
Suszi



No comments: