Monday, October 21, 2013

The story of our love...



Good Morning friends,
Today is a celebration day.
Although each day of grieving is getting easier and will continue to be a journey.
But today we celebrate our Anniversary.
24 years together and about 5 great years hehehe.
We met in April of 1989, and I thought he was a nerd jock. He was a wrestler and a college guy.
I didn't have much interest in him at all. we had mutual friends and often saw each other.
My Senior Prom was the night I first saw him and was for years convinced
 he pinched my butt at a party. I now know differently. But on May 18th the White sidewalls were playing a street dance in Janesville, so I got a bunch of tickets, and only Dave showed up, and low and behold he was dressed the same as me. Ripped, faded, stonewashed Levi 501 jeans and a Hard Rock Cafe shirt. I thought well at least he has taste hehe. We then went to Mankato to Hardees and to his friends house, Then back to Janesville because I had to work at 11, ( I worked an overnight sleeping job) so we went and watched a movie at work and hung out til late. The next day I couldn't get him out of my head, so we drove through Menards parking lot where he was a cart boy, and I saw him but didn't stop because I didn't want to get him in trouble. He said later he thought it was a dream. So we went to his house and decided to clean, as you can imagine a house with 4 guys was pretty nasty, and piles of dishes. so he was so surprised when he got home and I was cleaning. O.K. I should not have let him believe I actually enjoyed doing that but young love causes us to do dumb things. After that day we were together constantly. He then started working inside Menards in the carpet department. So the day I brought him home to meet my mom, she was laying a rug she had just bought down and when he walked in she said "Hey you just sold me this, so come help me lay it" and He is the first guy I ever brought home my dad liked. 10 days after we started dating He told me he loved me. I graduated High school in June and was planning to go to college in Texas for fashion design. So plans were being made about long distance relationships. The week after graduation I went to South Dakota on a trip, so I guess the old adage that says absence makes the heart grow fonder was so true. I decided I couldn't live with out him. So we started talking about marriage shortly after graduation, and one day we were in Burnsville Center and stopped at Goodmans jewelers and I saw a set of rings that were amazing. So we bought them. It took a  few weeks to order and re size them so we just kept quiet about it. I met his family that weekend and was so excited about getting to know them. 
My parents had my uncle and aunt from KY at our house around my dad's birthday that year June 14th, and so we told them all sitting outside under the tree and by the swing I grew up swinging on. My dad cried and needed to cut my toenails (don't ask heheheh). That day started an entire whirlwind of decisions. A date? May of 1990 was set. and then changed to October of 1989. I have planned many weddings and getting one one the scale of mine ready in 3 1/2 months should have been impossible. Not for God. Called about Hall, they had a cancellation, called church, not booked, caterer available. So October it was.
Planning the wedding was amazing. found a dress daddy made me get, one that was  $1,100 and I made my veil. decor was chosen. Flowers ordered, food, craziness abounded. 
The day was beautiful, and so warm, when you plan a fall wedding you expect cool weather so when it got here it was about 80 degrees and with tuxes and velvet dresses, it was a bit over the top, but splendid. It was so fun and exhausting and wonderful.
It has taken us a long time to get to the place where we like each other and love to spend time together.
But as we grow old together, life gets better every day. 
I now cherish our time we have and look back and realize God has always been with us. 
Life looks differently now, last year for 
Dave's birthday my gift to him was a written commitment of my love and devotion, it was a life changing moment in our marriage, something I should have done seriously 24 years ago, but still not to late.
So today marks the day that transformed me into the wife, mother, lover, friend, soul mate to a wonderfully brilliant and flawed man who God knew was perfect for me. I know my many ideas and craziness make him crazy. But he loves me unconditionally regardless of who I am.
I love this man more everyday and intend to spend everyday making him crazy and wonderful.
Next year for our 25th we want to have a renewal of our vows and have it like the original wedding I wanted. Simple and fun. 
I hope you are encouraged in some way that if you feel like you can't take another day in your marriage or the grass looks greener, STOP your thinking and know that tomorrow may be better. 
Have grace and patience, and work on being the kind of wife God intends for you to be.
I also will work on being a better wife, so like my parents married 58 years and Dave's grand parents married 67 years and are still so in love. These examples have given me a road map for the future, and serve as a compass by which to steer by, in the many years Dave and I spend together.
Cross my Heart.

May God bless you today.

Always
Suszi


No comments: